I’m an Assistant Professor at the Department of Informatics of University of Minho. I’m also a member (and currently co-coordinator) of the High-Assurance Software Laboratory, a research center of University of Minho and of the INESC TEC associate laboratory.
My research aims to make formal software design more accessible for all software engineers. Together with several collaborators at INESC TEC and ONERA, we developed the new version 6 of the popular Alloy formal specification framework, and also Alloy4Fun, a web application for sharing and learning Alloy. I recently also led a project that aimed to make formal analysis techniques easier to use by roboticists developing software with ROS. Some of these techniques are currently available in the HAROS framework. In the past, my research focused on the topic of model driven software development, namely I helped develop the Echo framework for model repair and (bidirectional) transformation.
I currently teach in the following courses at University of Minho:
- SpecRep: Constraint-based Specification Repair
- DigiLightRail: Verification of Railway Network Models (consultancy for EFACEC)
- SAFER: Safety Verification for Robotic Software (principal investigator)
- TRUST: Trustworthy Software Design with Alloy (principal investigator)
- LightKone: Lightweight Computations for Networks at the Edge
- COST IC1405: Reversible computation - extending horizons of computing
- FATBIT: Foundations, Applications and Tools for Bidirectional Transformation (principal investigator)
- PTCRISync: An ORCID based synchronisation framework for the Portuguese CRIS ecosystem
- PURe: Program Understanding and Re-engineering: Calculi and Applications
- EVOLVE: Evolutionary validation, verification and certification
Some selected publications:
- Nuno Macedo, Alcino Cunha, José Pereira, Renato Carvalho, Ricardo Silva, Ana C. R. Paiva, Miguel Sozinho Ramalho, Daniel Castro Silva: Experiences on teaching Alloy with an automated assessment platform. Science of Computer Programming 211: 102690. Elsevier, 2021.
- Renato Carvalho, Alcino Cunha, Nuno Macedo, André Santos: Verification of system-wide safety properties of ROS applications. In proceedings of the 2020 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS’20), pages 7249-7254. IEEE, 2020.
- Alcino Cunha, Nuno Macedo: Validating the Hybrid ERTMS/ETCS Level 3 concept with Electrum. International Journal on Software Tools for Technology Transfer 22(3): 281-296. Springer, 2020.
- Nuno Macedo, Jorge Tiago, Alcino Cunha: A Feature-based Classification of Model Repair Approaches. IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering 43(7): 615-640. IEEE, 2017.
- Nuno Macedo, Julien Brunel, David Chemouil, Alcino Cunha, Denis Kuperberg: Lightweight specification and analysis of dynamic systems with rich configurations. In proceedings of the 2016 24th ACM SIGSOFT International Symposium on Foundations of Software Engineering (FSE’16), pages 373-383. ACM, 2016.
- Alcino Cunha, Ana Gabriela Garis, Daniel Riesco: Translating between Alloy specifications and UML class diagrams annotated with OCL. Software and System Modeling 14(1): 5-25. Springer, 2015.
- Nuno Macedo, Alcino Cunha: Implementing QVT-R Bidirectional Model Transformations Using Alloy. In proceedings of the 16th International Conference on Fundamental Approaches to Software Engineering (FASE’13), volume 7793 of LNCS, pages 297-311. Springer, 2013.
My full publication list can be found at DBLP or Scholar.
- Jorge Cerqueira (MSc, co-advised by Nuno Macedo)
- Rafael Lourenço (MSc)
- Luís Ribeiro (MSc)
- Cecília Soares (MSc, co-advised by Alfrânio Correia at ORACLE)
- Marco Barbosa (MSc, co-advised by Nuno Macedo)
- Pedro Gonçalves (MSc)
- Chong Liu (PhD, 2022)
- Pedro Moura (MSc, 2022)
- Sara Melo (MSc, 2021)
- Ricado Pereira (MSc, 2021)
- André Santos (PhD, 2021, now at Vortex CoLab)
- Renato Carvalho (MSc, co-advisor, 2020)
- Bruno Cancelinha (MSc, 2019)
- José Pereira (MSc, 2016)
- Eduardo Pessoa (MSc, co-advisor, 2016)
- Ana Garis (PhD, 2015, now at Universidade Nacional de San Luis)
- André Santos (MSc, 2015)
- Luís Romano (MSc, 2015)
- Miguel Costa (MSc, 2015)
- Nuno Macedo (PhD, 2014, now at University of Porto)
- Daniel Murta (MSc, 2014)
- Tiago Jorge (MSc, 2014)
- Nuno Sousa (MSc, 2014)
- Hugo Pacheco (PhD, 2012, now at University of Porto)
- Mário Eiras (MSc, 2011)
- Ricardo Romano (MSc, 2011)
- Nuno Macedo (MSc, 2010)
- João Paz (MSc, 2010)
I love traveling, photography (Flickr, Instagram, 500px), and cycling (Strava). My wife Rosa Cabecinhas is an Associate Professor at the Institute of Social Sciences at University of Minho.